Your Exchange Server infrastructure needs to stay up to date because of vulnerabilities, new features,…
It’s June 16, 2020 and Microsoft released Cumulative Update 17 for Exchange Server 2016 (KB4556414). Also known as Exchange Server CU17. This cumulative update includes fixes for nonsecurity issues and all previously released fixes for security and nonsecurity issues. These fixes will also be included in later cumulative updates for Exchange Server 2016. This update also includes new daylight saving time (DST) updates for Exchange Server 2016.
How to update Exchange Server 2016 to CU17?
It’s recommended to update the Exchange Server in the lab environment before updating it in the production environment.
- Download Cumulative Update CU17 for Exchange Server 2016 (KB4556414)
- Update to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8
- Install Cumulative Update Exchange 2016
Cumulative Update CU17 for Exchange Server 2016 is released as version 15.01.2044.004. Which version are you running now? Read more on how to find your Exchange version build number.
Known issues in this cumulative update
In multidomain Active Directory forests in which Exchange is installed or has been prepared previously by using the /PrepareDomain option in Setup, this action must be completed after the /PrepareAD command for this cumulative update has been completed and the changes are replicated to all domains. Setup will try to run the /PrepareAD command during the first server installation. Installation will finish only if the user who initiated Setup has the appropriate permissions.
Issues that this cumulative update fixes
This cumulative update fixes the issues that are described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
- 4559444 Conversion from HTML to RTF removes non-breaking space in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559435 Introduce an OrganizationConfig flag to enable or disable recipient read session in Exchange Server 2016
- 4547707 Enable piping for Restore-RecoverableItems in Exchange Server 2019 and 2016
- 4559436 Attachments with properties (like Azure Information Protection labels) don’t always match in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559437 PR_RECIPIENT_ENTRYID is computed if no email address or type in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559438 Edge Transport server hangs in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559439 EAS creates failure report if a message with unknown recipients is in Drafts in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559440 Export to a PST for an eDiscovery search fails in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559441 Foreign language characters set in RejectMessageReasonText of a transport rule aren’t shown correctly in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559442 2080 Events caused by empty values in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchange ADAccess\Instance0 in Exchange Server 2016
- 4549689 HMA EvoSTS certificate rollover causes authentication prompts due to stalled key on worker process spawn (warmup phase) in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559443 Managed Folder Assistant fails with Event ID 9004 NotInBagPropertyErrorException in Exchange Server 2016
- 4559446 Changes to Outlook on the web blocked file extensions and MIME types in Exchange Server 2016